Perhaps our most precious book is this one, a 1953 (I think) edition of Joy of Cooking. Yes, the one with the squirrel recipes (just to date it). More importantly, this is the one with the stains in it -- the stains from my mother's use when I was growing up. These are many of the flavours I grew up with.
As you can see, It's kind of worn.
So worn that theres a danger of it falling apart.
Fortunately, I happen to be good friends with a book binder -- Marlene Pomeroy. The easy option would have been for her to replace the covers with something generic and rebind it, kind of like a library would do. But, well, that wouldn't be all that interesting, and probably not worth a journal post.
Instead, I decided to do what I could to recreate the covers.
So I scanned the logo...
And recreated the front cover and the spine....
And printed a new book cloth.
This is printed on a very lightweight canvas -- much finer in texture than typical inkjet canvas. It's also been covered with a thin, flexible vinyl laminate that will protect the canvas and provide a wipe-off surface.
I have the equipment to do this stuff in my studio.
The colour is a little richer on the new book cloth, but that's fine by me.
The endpapers needed to be replaced, too. The scribbles in the book are mine, most likely, from 40 years ago.
So I scanned the endpaper icon key...
... created a large pattern out of which both endpapers can be cut ...
... and printed it on an 18x24 sheet of heavy drawing paper I tore out of a pad.
I didn't get the repeat quite right, but it will look reasonably similar anyway. Having the symbol table is the important thing.
And then I dropped everything off with Marlene to let her work her magic.
I'm sorry -- I don't have the finished product yet. I'll make another post when it is finished!
I can't wait. I wrapped the raw cloth around the book to get an idea of what it will look like:
If you're interested in this sort of thing on a professional basis, get in touch!